Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More cast/crew interviews!

Hi all! This will (probably) be my last post for a few weeks. As you've probably all realized, I haven't been doing so well at updating on Tuesdays, because I've been slammed at work trying to get things done early in preparation for my upcoming nuptials. So while I'm honeymooning, Theresa Bender is going to be doing our updates, and I'm going to see if she'll take over next week too (it'll be my last day at work and I know I'll be crazy busy, in addition to not really being functional on a human level since it'll be 4 days from the wedding).

I promise Theresa will take good care of you guys and give you lovely posts :)

Since last week I told Hans that, seeing as he's the lead and all, I would post his interview this week, let's begin with him :) I'm also going to make this a long post, putting in ALL the interviews I've received thus far, as my farewell-for-now gift to you all :)

Name: Hans Dettmar
Role: John Merrick

What are your hobbies outside of theatre? I am always trying to find time to catch up on my drawing and oil painting projects, though I inevitably get into another show and run out of time. Besides that I love swimming and cycling. I am also an avid gamer: PC, console, and board games especially.

What's something we wouldn't be able to guess just by looking at you (this must be something you haven't said yet, and should be something interesting -- 'I like cats' isn't very exciting, but 'I have been to every country in Europe' or 'Mariah Carey is my cousin' is)? Attended 13 schools, moved 14 times, studied piano with 10 different teachers, studied 5 languages, speak 2 fluently (English+German) (Erin says: Damn.)

If you act, what role would you really, really love to play? If you don't act, still the same question. My 2 must-do musical theatre roles are Sweeney in Sweeney Todd and Don Quixote in Man of La Mancha. (Erin says: Everyone wants to do Sweeney. It's always on CCT/2FT's table, and the day we actualyl decide to do it, we're going to have to beat the would-be Sweeneys away with a club.)

What was your favorite fairy tale or toy as a child? LEGO -- have been collecting since age 5! So it was my favorite toy then AND now.

Do you have any pets? If so, what kind? Do you buy presents for him/her/them? We have Max, our Cairn Terrier and 2 cats: Mosby and Miranda. Presents? What kind of owner do you think I am? Of COURSE they get presents :-)

Name: Robin Zerbe (the only one who sent in a headshot this week!)
Role: Miss Sandwich

What are your hobbies outside of theatre? I'd have to go with fencing, reading, hanging out with friends, watching movies, writing, traveling (when I have the time and money), knitting, and listening to music.

What's something we wouldn't be able to guess just by looking at you (this must be something you haven't said yet, and should be something interesting -- 'I like cats' isn't very exciting, but 'I have been to every country in Europe' or 'Mariah Carey is my cousin' is)? I lived in Germany for 18 years. Oh, and I like cats. (Erin says: Har har ;) )

If you act, what is your favorite role to date? If you're a techie, what is your favorite show on which you've worked to date and why? If you're a director, which show has been your favorite to direct and why? If you're all three, feel free to answer one, two, or all of those. :) Regarding acting, I really had fun playing Harriet/Kate in An Experiment with an Air Pump. It was not only a great cast and crew, but it was a challenge to have to differentiate the 2 characters, LOTS of lines, and I got my first experience with stage combat (nothing like a good period catfight). As a techie, I'd have to choose being a set dresser on Crazy Eights (horror movie, check it out at imdb). It was a great learning experience and neat to see how they make stuff look the way it does on film. Plus, there's really nothing creepier than working at an abandoned mental institute piled full of random stuff at 3 am. I'll get my first taste at directing next summer when I get to direct a children's play I'm currently writing for the Elden Street Players, Fairytales in Training. I've had lots of fun acting for kids, and am looking forward to this next step.

Do you have any pets? If so, what kind? Do you buy presents for him/her/them? I have 2 tailless rescue kitties, Stubbs and Spazz (who some of you had the chance to "meet" at a rehearsal) (Erin says: Best names EVER.). They are spoiled rotten by my mom, leading to their own toy basket and toys all over the place, and are regularly treated to extensive belly rubs. They even have health insurance (ok, stop laughing). (Erin says: Hey, no, pet health insurance is a good thing -- Kevin's dog has diabetes, and if he'd anticipated that, he'd have gotten the insurance and his vet bills would be way lower.)

If you could live WITH any character from a play/book/movie for a day, which character would it be? Why? I'd love to prance around Middle Earth with the elves. Why? Because I can (and yes, I'm a geek, now you all know).

Name: Christy Jacobs
Role: Stage Manager

What are your hobbies outside of theatre? I like to draw, write poetry, dance, drink beer, watch movies, and just be chill.

What was your favorite fairy tale or toy as a child? I had (and still do have) a little cabbage patch doll. She was with me through all of it. I adore her.

Do you have any pets? If so, what kind? Do you buy presents for him/her/them? I have a cat named Moseby and another named Bunnie. I buy them catnip because they are stoner kitties. Other than that they get food, litter and all my lovins.

Do you have any little thing(s) you do "for luck" before a performance? I give hugs to all who are willing to get hugs. The contact helps keep me cool. I also say a little prayer.

If you could wear only one outfit for a whole month, what would it be? My sweats, some shorts, and a beater with a comfy hoody just in case

What's your favorite comfort food? Mac and cheese

Name: David Saunders
Role: Will, Porter at the London Hospital

If you act, what role would you really, really love to play? If I were to really get into acting and develop the necessary skills to take on a major role, I would love to play the King from The King and I, the Beast from Beauty and the Beast, or the Cowardly Lion from The Wiz. I am intrigued with how each of these characters (all the same really) comes across as a major asshole (Erin says: Can we say "asshole" on the air? We can? Awesome.) at first but turns out to be a pretty nice guy deep down inside, once a woman gets hold of his heart. Alas, where would we assholes be without the leading ladies in our lives?!

What was your favorite fairy tale or toy as a child? Fairy tale: In the words of Sarah Palin, "All of them!" Toy: I had a LOT of fun with "Mr. Bubble" in my youth (Friday night, the mood was right!) but if that doesn't qualify as a toy, I will go with my beloved hand puppet, Grover from Sesame Street. If every kid had a puppet, the world would be a much better place.

Do you have any pets? If so, what kind? Do you buy presents for him/her/them? No pets these days, but I had a ton of hamsters growing up, and they all lived pretty high off the hog in the "Habitrail" palace. If I were to get into pets again, I would definitely go for something on the endangered species list. Are polar bears tameable?

If you could wear only one outfit for a whole month, what would it be? I think a pair of M.C. Hammer pants would be fun to wear for a month, and I would seriously wear them the whole 30 days, assuming I didn't have to leave the house during daylight. (Erin: Well, now, that just takes all the fun out of it for the rest of us.)

What's the strangest gift you've ever received? My dad gave me plenty of geeky gifts from Radio Shack over the years, but the all-time greatest was the metal detector for my 11th birthday. I really stood out in the hood, hunting for gold doubloons or whatever I thought was hidden under the streets of D.C. with that gizmo! Fortunately, it broke just in time for puberty.

Name: Natalie Holmes
Role: Princess Alexandra

What are your hobbies outside of theatre? My hobbies include the outdoors (hiking, running “garden assistant”) (Erin says: What exactly is a "garden assistant"? What do you assist the garden in doing?), music, trying out new recipes, Scrabble, trivia, and school. A self-professed geek (and proud of it!!!), I actually enjoy learning for learning’s sake.

If you act, what role would you really, really love to play? If you don't act, still the same question. Who doesn’t act? We all play roles in this stage of a world, now don’t we? I guess if I had to choose … Margo Channing. (IMHO, Bette Davis was robbed of the Oscar). She was uncompromising in who she was … tough yet vulnerable.

If you could wear only one outfit for a whole month, what would it be? My most flattering jeans and my suede boots and a tee shirt … or maybe my black wrap dress … or maybe the turquoise empire waist scoop neck dress … or maybe … darn, do I have to decide NOW?

What's your favorite comfort food? It frankly depends upon my mood and could be from any part of the food chain and could vary depending on the kind of comforting I need.

If you were to change your name, what would it be? Since my name fits me l would not change it (though it made for some confusion during rehearsals as the director and I share the same first name; I had to stop myself from responding every time someone said “Natalie”) … but … when I am being prickly and snarky, I get called “Natasha”.

No comments:

Post a Comment